I walk to work every day I don't drop off/pick up Ro from daycare, and it's definitely one of the highlights of my days. It's gotten to be a really important time for spacing out, planning, mental conversations, rehearsing talks, etc. and I thought I'd share what of it I can!
It starts at the end of our block with a slightly steep connector trail. Here is a shot looking back at the entrance:
The connector is where I take Ronan for a walk in the evenings when I want something quick. The trail is definitely not stroller friendly between the pitch and the roots, so I just carry him (that's where his sitting log is too).
At the bottom it joins a much wider trail along the water. Here you can see the view down.
I would never find the connector trail (on the return trip) without my landmark: a rock engraved with BBC, and a tree growing out into the river.
The main trail is broad, and peppered with chipmunks! It took me a while to figure out that they weren't chirping birds, but if I hear one call I can almost always find a second one. You could also imagine the sounds of birds and insects to go with these pictures. It's not quiet!
Around this point I often remember that study that showed even a short walk in the woods improves mood (vs. a city stroll), and another that exposure to soil bacteria relieves depression in mice. The sheer beauty and calm (in the chaos of life as a new parent and faculty member) often makes me a little euphoric.
When I get to the campus pond there is a lean-to "japanese tea hut" with a lovely view. You can sort of see the boat-house in this shot (I'm looking forward to taking Ro in a canoe some day).
Along the trail I spend some time being mystified why not everyone flocks here they way they do to CA. The town has nearly everything we need (the rest is a 20 minute drive) and is the local mecca for restaurants and music, although we take in less of both now that the squidlet has arrived. I surmise that either people hate winter (maybe it really is that bad?), or it's because so many people live in cities. If I had to choose a city I'm pretty sure I'd go with one in the West (or the Rockies).
Rounding the pond you can see the building with my lab (on the 4th floor, overlooking the pond).
By this point in the trail I may have worked up plans for my classes (beyond the one day of advance prep I have set to go). I love that I get to think about new topics all the time, be creative, organize concepts and ideas (a favorite activity), and find anecdotes that illustrate them. When a class goes well it’s like the thrill of a fascinating late night conversation. (Except that these days it would have to be a late afternoon conversation because I’m toast by 11, even if I’m up till 1.) And then I can't wait to get home to the other fantastic parts of my life. Less good days are, well, less good. They remind me how exhausting academia is, and heading home to an infant and ever more sleep deprivation is little reprieve.
This morning I'm headed via the botanical garden to my other office. There is a nice surprise growing up today!
Apparently I didn't miss my chance to see naked ladies just because I skipped convocation!
And finally...
I'm at work. My building and office are quite nice, but you can see why they can't compare with the trail to work. (In the last picture you can see my window cushion, open window, and fleece blanket -- the only warm spot in the room on a warm day!
I'm a big fan of "structural solutions" where the things that are good for us but hard to do or find time for are built in requirements that don't require will-power. I can't be tempted to drive because it's faster because we only have one car. My full schedule has excluded far too many things, but this one is safe. At least until first snow.
A house just came on the market in our neighborhood. It's not giant and fancy like most of the houses, but the incredible location still puts the price tag out of reach. It helps me appreciate renting where we do!
No comments:
Post a Comment