Tuesday, October 5, 2010

His own person

We had a “parent-teacher conference” at Ronan’s daycare last week. We had a general check-in, and then I was curious about what traits they perceive in Ronan. Since he’s the only baby I regularly interact with, I see him develop but I have a less good sense of which parts of what he does are generic “baby” and which parts are his unique developing character. His teacher’s reply?

Ronan is…
Very deliberate
He has a long attention span and will focus on particular toys or activities for quite a while
He seems generally content but he lets you know when he needs something
Happy but also serious
He observes other children intently

I’m probably forgetting some of it because this was an entire sleep-deprived week ago, but basically it made us both laugh. No surprises there – a serious, focused baby, eh? I guess he takes after his parents already. His attention span actually outlasts mine quite a bit these days, though.

But honestly, how funny would it have been if he had been “life of the party” baby? Or “physically super-active” baby. Or “most likely to sing opera as an adult.” They need a yearbook for the infant room.

1 comment: